Wednesday 3 August 2016

Women in Boxing - Featuring Crista Orefice

I think it is important to get the word out that boxing is a great sport for women - whether for fitness, friendly competition or at the serious amateur and professional levels.

Crista Orefice

There are women who discover boxing a little later in life.  One such person in Crista Orefice of New Jersey.  Crista started boxing when she was 35 and now is seemingly 39 going on 20!  Her story is inspiring and her interest in boxing has a very interesting and previously unknown link with her past.  Unbeknownst to Crista until she took up boxing herself, her grandfather "The Southpaw Wizard" fought under the name of Al Sloupe.  So it seems she already had boxing in her blood!

Golden Gloves Champion Al Sloupe - The Southpaw Wizard

Crista was kind enough to answer some questions for Female Boxing Now about her involvement with boxing.

How long have you been involved with boxing?

I have been involved in boxing for four years this month actually.

How did you get started in boxing?  What was it about boxing that drew you to the sport?

Well, growing up, I was a huge fan of the "Rocky" movies!! I don't mean to sound cliche here, but it is so very true. Also, there was always something in me where I had this urge to want to punch and I don't know why. Let me clarify -I don't mean that I ever got into fist fights or any fights for that matter, but sometimes I would ask guy friends to hold up their hands so I could practice punching them. It was some unexplainable urge within me. I even had "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out" video game on the original Nintendo game system. Now I am dating myself...hahaha. I haven't owned a video game system since then. But four years ago, my boyfriend and I went on vacation to the beach. On the boardwalk there was an arcade, and being a kid at heart still, I decided to check out the games they had. Well sure enough, they had a virtual boxing game where you put on these "gloves" that read your body movements and punches, and you had to box against a computerized opponent. Well, I got so into that game that I had to keep playing it repeatedly!! Like something literally awakened in me!! So much so, that on the way home, while my boyfriend was driving, I was on my smartphone researching local boxing clubs. I suddenly felt that I HAD to explore this further. I was very fortunate that I found a local boxing club and I began training a week or two later.  I was hooked right away! Then, after signing up and sharing it with my family, my mother tells me that her father (my "Pop-Pop" who sadly passed away before my birth)  was an amateur boxer and a Golden Gloves Champion! Oh, and he was a Southpaw just like me!! It all made sense then - the gene was there all this time just wating to be expressed! I guess it is "in my blood."



Do you box competitively?  If so, what is your record?

Yes, I have had 6 amateur fights thus far. My record is 2-4. Should I choose to fight again someday, I hope to even it out a bit! ha! ha!

Crista boxing at the Parsippany PAL in NJ against Lauren Feuss.  Photo Courtesy of  Bob Larson

What do you enjoy most about fighting?

Wow, it is so complex to describe. Fighting challenges you in ways beyond measure.  It goes deep into your primal psyche and really forces you stand in there with someone and confront your fears directly. I am not someone who by nature is very aggressive, but fighting gives me permission to access that part of myself. It draws upon facets of your mind, body, and will in such an intensely powerful way. You need to think strategically like a chess player, have the physical conditioning of a prime athlete, and the drive and determination of a warrior.

Action from one of Crista's boxing matches with Taeko Horigome at Gleason's Gym in Brooklyn. NY

How does your career as a music therapist fit with your interest in boxing?

That is an interesting question! I am very busy working as a music therapist and music encompasses a huge part of my life. What I have learned through training as a boxer is that RHYTHM is an essential component of the sweet science. Without rhythm in music, there is no sense of timing, and hands down (except in the ring of course), rhythm is one of the most important elements of music AND boxing! As a music therapist, I often work with folks who need support in their functioning capacity on some level. I often use drums and some type of percussion instruments with my clients for rhythmic playing. Sometimes this is to assist them in grounding themselves with pulse and movement and feeling the music in their bodies.  It can allow my clients to experience a sense of flow by keeping the energy moving, whereas they may feel "stuck" in certain areas of their lives. A boxer primarily needs to be moving their body in some way at all times- they should be in a state of flow through their head, their feet, and their hands. Some people need to work on this more than others in both music therapy and in boxing.  Similar to when one is in the "groove" while playing (making) music, rhythm and movement in boxing needs to become something felt rather than thought about. This sense of timing and rhythm offers a boxer both a proper offense and defense.

What do you find most rewarding about boxing?

Well, certainly the physical conditioning and mental discipline that it provides are second to none! It helps me feel good about myself, especially when I know I have worked really hard. And it makes me want to work hard because I truly enjoy training - sometimes I train for several hours at a time! It not only keeps me in shape, but it is never boring! And I am absolutely in love with continually learning about the art and science of this sport. It is not just about two people slugging away at one another. There really is something quite aesthetic about this sport when it is done properly.  It requires repetition and consistency and I love the challenge of trying to master the skill (even if I never will).

Crista sparring with Cristian Dariel at Fairlamb FIT.

What advice do you have for other women who are thinking about taking up boxing for fitness or competition?

Do it!! At least try it if you are contemplating it. If you experience anything like I have experienced, it could be life-changing for you in so many positive ways! You can ultimately decide if it is for you or not. You will know if competition is your thing if/when you get to experience sparring at a proper gym under a coach's supervision. And maybe you would just enjoy sparring without competing. But, you don't have to compete to gain the many benefits of boxing training. Just make sure you find someone who is teaching you proper technique so that you don't hurt your hands/wrists.

You use boxing training to improve fitness (obviously!).  What other benefits does your boxing training and instruction provide?

Empowerment!! Discipline, drive, courage, self-esteem.

What club are you training at?  Are the staff and other trainees helpful to you and other women at the club?

I just transitioned to a new gym called Fairlamb FIT in Pompton Plains, NJ (USA). It has been a really beneficial change for me. The staff and my trainers are top-notch! I am learning so much which is just thrilling!! It is a very supportive and nurturing environment. Shout out to Coaches Rob Park and Scott Fairlamb!

Crista working the heavy bag at the Fairlamb FIT gym

Have you seen any changes in the sport of boxing or in the attitude toward female boxers since you first got involved?

Well yes, actually!  Just as I began training 4 years ago in the summer of 2012, there was an historic event happening for female boxing. It was the first time women competed in boxing in the Olympics! And now four years later, they will again this year! However, I think the level of equality has a long way to go for females in the professional world. Female bouts are sadly rarely televised at this time, which I think is extremely unfair on so many levels. It inhibits the chance to gain a greater following for these women who work just as hard as the men in the gym and between the ropes! Additionally, from what I understand, the pay level for women is not nearly the same as it for the male boxers - even for championship bouts! It boggles my mind and really gets me very frustrated for these ladies. So, as much as I wish I could say otherwise, there are just not the same opportunities for growth or affordances allotted to females YET in this sport. I am hopeful that it will change for the better sooner than later.

Alyssa Pierce started boxing over a year ago and now trains as a competitive fighter

Are you a big fan of female amateur or professional boxing?

I am relatively new(er) to following boxing as a sport. But I certainly l am a fan of both levels of female boxing. I relate more to the amateur level of it, however, since that is what I am personally involved in.

Sarah Bell, right, from Danbury's Champs Boxing, and Jennifer Diggs, from S.E.T. Gym, fight in a 152 lbs bout

Do you think opportunities for women who want to box have improved in recent years?

Overall - yes! It seems more and more women are getting interested in the sport on all levels, which I think is quite exciting! Yet, I can really only speak from my limited knowledge as an amateur boxer, who does this out of extreme interest for the sport.

How do you see the future of women in boxing?

I believe it is really only just getting started, though I realize that the involvement of women in boxing goes back as far as the 18th Century! In the USA though, women have really only been boxing for about 40 years or so on the professional level, so women's boxing is still relatively young. I do believe it will continue to grow as more and more women will feel comfortable trying this sport out,  because it is no longer a male-only sport. We may be outnumbered by male athletes, but again, the culture of this is slowly shifting. I do think that on a professional level, promoters need to grant female athletes more opportunities for exposure than they are being offered now, or a major change cannot occur. We need more women involved in the sport in many roles - officials, coaches, athletes, etc. to help tip the scales of (im)balance.

Joann Hagen fighting Pat Emerick in the 1950's

What do you think can be done to increase the number of women participating in the sport of boxing?

Seeing other women DOING this - women who are driven, passionate, and badass!!  People no doubt get inspired by others when they hear about or see them involved in things like this sport; a sport which they may have once thought to be "taboo" or for "guys only."  Role models certainly help, and we have a great number of wonderful female athletes, both amateur and professional, who are nothing short of inspirational! Getting the word out about women's boxing, like your blog does, is also another opportunity for people like myself to share their stories. So thank you for that, Rob! I also hope that by reading this, someone new may decide to lace up the gloves and give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment